Wednesday, 13 May 2015

To Those Who Believe in Voting

If Voting changed anything for the better? They'd scrap it!
One morning years ago, as I entered the classroom for a course I taught on U.S. history, I found the students engaged in a discussion of elections. One of them, whom I knew to be a supporter of “progressive” causes and who had previously complained about student apathy, asked me in a despairing tone, “Why don’t people vote?”
“I don’t know,” I replied.  “To me, the more interesting question is, Why do they?”
Why do people vote? The individual voter does not choose the winner of the election; she chooses which lever to pull or which box to check on a piece of paper. Yet some people get angry at me and call me a shirker when I tell them I don’t vote. If you don’t vote, they tell me, you have no  right to complain. Why not, I ask. Where is that written?
(counterpunch)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Intelligent comments welcome.Trolling will be SpamBoxed.